6029 is owned by the Australian Railway Historical Society, ACT Division and the restoration is proudly supported by their tourist operations and by the generous donations of members and public supporters.
The society operates rail tours out of Canberra with our heritage fleet of steam and diesel locomotives and rolling stock every few weeks.
To travel in style on any of our tours, or to learn more about our collection and operations, go to Canberrarailwaymuseum.org

May 25, 2011

Cab Progress in May

It has been a while since I have updated you on the cab and its progress at Eveleigh.

Overall, the cab looks again like the cab that came off the Garratt a while back, with the notable exception of the corrosion that was present in the panels and frames. I would estimate that at least 25% of the cab has been replaced just to repair the damage caused by all those years of exposure.

The majority of the riveting is done, with the exception of 4 lines of rivets that could not be completed until the roof is properly attached. One more day with the team from Goodwin-Alco will see that all completed.

The last workday saw the roof more or less completed, with just a little welding to be completed and one small panel to be cut and fitted. The roof is all new, and is completely devoid of the holes that caused the ultimate demise of the original unit. All attachments are now internal and with new hatches that are stronger and easier to use, the cab should be a nice place to work. As part of the work, we have also added proper lifting points to allow damage free lifting of the cab from the frames and the roof from the cab in the future, a small detail, but one that will be appreciated when we have to do any heavy maintenance on the boiler or mechanical stoker.

There is some detail work to be completed, like new window frames in the rear of the cab, but there is most certainly light at the end of this tunnel!

Mike Reynell

Sunday, 22 May 2011

Today, the hind unit brake cylinder piston cup seals were replaced with the new neoprene type. This was not an easy job as the new seals are very stiff and don’t squash down easily. Once the seals eventually slide into place the felt follower seals present another set of problems. Again after much grunting and pushing the tee type securing bolts were fitted into place securing the head to the cylinder . The push rods and subsequent pins will be final fitted on our next workday.

The brake system is in general terms, continuing at a good pace but the cab sub floor piping requires significant work. So much so the it has been decided to replace the drivers side cab sub floor sheet for two reasons. The first being that it has seen better days and the second being access to a very cramped space. The floor was cut into two sections to allow the brake stand and sub assemblies to be removed for assessment and repair. The grimy, rusted pipes only yielded after we applied heat with the oxy torch helped by hydraulic jacks. The four feed valves and many smaller fittings are now off site being rebuilt as home work and yes they are seized and full of that rusty grime.

The cabs steel sub floor is about four inches below the timber floor and supports many sub assemblies including a myriad of pipes, both steam and air. Much of the rust and grime in the area is a direct result of coal dust and over use of the cab hose. Maybe the manufactures knew this as a this would ensure the purchase of new locomotives for future sales. Oh well bad timing you might say as diesels were well into production when 6029 was new!

Our next workday (Saturday June 4) will see us continue around the cab sub floor area. Hopefully the new replacement sheet for the sub floor will be on site ready for fitting by then.

Alan Gardner