The day started bright and early at 7am as we had planed to complete some critical work on top of the change over boiler before the weather got to hot. Now that we have repaired/ replace most of the broken studs and fittings we have started to fit all of the brackets to the boiler. The preparation of the crinoline bands has started and at this stage we will be fitting the firebox area only. After the first steam test we will fit the cladding sheets as this will facilitate the fitting of the cab.
Strip down of the old boiler is now almost complete as Mike , Mark and Howard removed the dry pipe and associated fittings. The Baker family removed the last of the fire bar support girders and brackets. When funds permit the old boiler will be sandblasted and primed to prevent damage to the outer surfaces. A preliminary inspection supports that fact that this boiler is repairable and when time permits we will begin the removal of the tubes to enable access to the inside of the boiler to assess the predicted damage. In the afternoon Howard and Peter Gleeson mounted up the regulator pivot housing and associated bits. Mark continued to sort out all of the hand rail mountings as we will have to fit the hand rails to facilitate the fitting of the blower and controls for the steam test. Barry Peffer worked on the shelving for the container as he is still recovering from an operation he needs to avoid getting to dirty, great to see him back and on the mend. Our next workday will continue to see work on the change over boiler particularly at the smoke box end as we need to finish removing all of the blanked off plates in preparation to fit the superheater header and regulator. And yes after the header is fitted and completed bring on the steam test.